Drunken Cheesesteak Soup - 8 servings.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 1/2 large onions, diced small
- ½ cup chopped garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup of flour
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 can of dark beer
- 2 cans beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 box of Steak Ums or chip steaks cooked and chopped into bite size pieces
- 15 oz jar of Cheez Wiz (or 8 oz of Provolone cut into small pieces, depending on what you like:>))
- Amoroso Roll croutons (see below). If you are unfortunate to live in an area that doesn’t carry Amoroso rolls, and good hard long roll will do!
- Melt butter in large, heavy-bottomed stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, and garlic saute until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add flour and cook another 3-5 minutes stirring often.
- Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a simmer stirring often until soup thickens.
- Reduce heat to medium low and stir in beer, beef stock, salt and pepper.
- Slowly stir in Cheez Wiz or provolone until all is melted and incorporated into soup.
- Remove from heat and stir in Steak Ums.
- Top with Amoroso Croutons
Amoroso Croutons: Slice 3 stale Amoroso Hoagie Rolls into cubes . Melt 1 cup of butter in large bowl. Toss hoagie cubes into butter, coat. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Cook on baking sheet at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden.