The only thing I take seriously is my Freedom. And Bacon.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Bourbon Cranberry Jalapeno Bites - Babycakes Pie Pop maker

Getting my hair done at Blue tomorrow. Since Lynda has departed for a gig in the city, I'm going to be trying out a  new stylist. The reasonable thrifty part of me says since Lynda left, maybe I should try to find a local place to get my hair done instead of traveling 40 minutes to Huntingdon Valley. But the other part of me says FUCK THAT - Will and his crew are so fantastic - and do so much to help the community. It's totally worth the drive.
Anyway - I'll be bringing a dozen of the Bourbon Cranberry Jalapeno bites I made with my Babycakes pie pop maker.
If. They. Make. It. Until. Tomorrow.

I made this recipe up on the fly - if you don't have a Babycakes pie pop maker, you can make them using a small cookie cutter and cookie sheet. I'm terrible at writing down recipes - so if you are a person that needs absolute specifics - you might want to skip this...

Bourbon Cranberry Jalapeno Pastry Bites
(makes about 18)
12 oz fresh cranberries
3/4 cup bourbon
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup sugar
some orange zest
Few shakes of Chinese 5 Spice
18 small pieces of pickled jalapeno
Puff Pastry Sheet (thawed)

Mix liquids and sugar in sauce pan - bring to a boil.
Lower heat and add cranberries, orange zest and Chinese 5 Spice

Let cook for about 10-13 minutes. Stir a few times.  You should hear cranberries popping.
Remove from heat, let cool.
Once cool, use immersion blender to make into a jam like consistency.

Roll out puff pastry sheet until very thin and then cut out your pie pops (or, if you don't have a machine, use small cookie cutter).

I place the bourbon cranberry mixture into a Ziploc bag and squeezed a small amount into the middle of the pastry - top with small piece of jalapeno- then top with another pastry round and follow pie pop directions.

After they were done, I basted them with a simple syrup solution and sprinkled on white sugar crystals.

This has it all - booze, tartness, sweetness, heat, all wrapped up in a little bitty tiny pastry - it's absolutely perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.